Teaching Spanish through Song
Doesn’t that work well!
Here are just some of the reasons why:
- Songs are great for language learning (you know how quickly you memorise song lyrics in English; the same applies in Spanish)
- The teacher is an excellent communicator. Notice the cupping of the ear to indicate it’s time for a child to speak
- There is only one word for the children to remember and repeat (Hola)
- The children are only speaking Spanish (!)
- The association between children’s names and the need to repeat the target Spanish word is so obvious that all the children can do it
Can you think of any other reasons?
It’s no wonder that we added a number of songs in the first Speekee series (for children aged 2-7).
If you can get the song right you can achieve something rather special: teach Spanish without the need for a teacher to be physically present.
How did we do with our intro song? Has it stuck in your head?!
Until next time readers,
Jim Porter is a co-founder of Speekee®, home of the most comprehensive Spanish learning program for children ever to appear online
Jim began his Spanish learning journey in 1990. He has been a language teacher since 1994 and he lives in sunny southern Spain with his two bilingual children. Loves it! More…